Letter from our global head of real estate
Our vision is to drive leadership in sustainable real estate across our global organization. Our vision drives our objectives. Our vision drives our commitments. Our vision defines the “what” and “how” of our sustainability program within Real Estate.
Our purpose is our people. Our purpose fuels our passion for creating more sustainable communities, and for creating a better future. Our purpose is the “why.”
Our approach to sustainability
We incorporate ESG considerations into each stage of the real estate value chain, from the development or acquisition of a building through to property management and leasing. Our sustainable real estate policy outlines our five sustainability commitments and details our key areas of focus. We then validate practices and performance through public reporting and industry benchmarking.
Our five sustainability commitments
The following highlight our achievements within each of our five sustainability commitments. The asterisk denotes a 2019 sustainability objective, which was set by our Executive Sustainability Steering Committee.
Minimize our environmental footprint
- Certified 15 buildings to LEED®, including the first Canadian building certified to LEED v4.1 in Ottawa
- Increased our total certification rate to 81% of our global portfolio—totaling over 48 million square feet
- Achieved our annual 2% energy and 1.5% water reduction goals as part of our five-year targets*
Promote responsible business practices
- Achieved PRI Score of "A" in the Direct Reporting module
- Participated in the United Nations Environmental Protocol Financial Initiative (UNEP FI) to evaluate the financial implications from climate change's physical and transition risks
Support health and wellness
- Achieved Fitwel certification at 220 Bloor, which is located within our Canadian corporate head office campus
- Developed an internal Fitwel certification guide
- Pursued Fitwel health and wellness standard at five buildings*
Be accountable for our performance
- Improved GRESB score, earning a Green Star ranking in all five submissions and three- and five-star ratings*
- Improved our Sustainable Building Standards scores across all property types and met our 2019 office, industrial, and retail year-end targets*
Engage our stakeholders
- Launched our internal Real Estate Sustainability Awards, which acknowledge the hard work and performance of our Green Champion community*
- Rolled out an annual, portfoliowide tenant engagement calendar across our internally managed properties*
The way forward
Our executive Sustainability Steering Committee sets annual sustainability objectives that focus our efforts and outline key milestones in our strategy. The following are our objectives for 2020.
Improve average Sustainable Building Standards score for each property type
Set long-term greenhouse gas target
Integrate climate mitigation and adaptation into Sustainable Building Standards
Improve portfolio energy management
Reports and important documents
MicroHabitat: urban gardening in downtown Montreal
Our Montreal property teams formed a partnership with MicroHabitat to grow, harvest, and distribute fresh produce to the local community.
Giving back in Ottawa
Our Ottawa real estate team takes a hands-on approach to giving back to the local community.
Ottawa LEED v4.1 certification
We're paving the way forward with performance-based recognition. 1600 Carling is Canada's first LEED v4.1 certification.
Vancouver's holiday food bank
Our Vancouver property team partnered with Upper Nicola Band and Upper Nicola Valley Food Bank to spread cheer during the 2019 holiday season.